Monday, January 11, 2010

The Second Coming

Greetings, minions, and a Happy New Year to you all!

I'm back in the US of A and I have a lot to share with you - so hold onto your potatoes, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Flying is fun. Providing you are a baby, and not the owners of a baby, nor the passengers in the immediate vicinity of said baby. To be fair though, I thought my behavior was pretty good, not like the old lady in front of me who threw up all the way from San Francisco to London on the way out, or the man doing sneaky bottom burps behind me on the way back. Actually, during the stringent security check on the way to the States, I got my first ever frisking.
Needless to say, it was an enjoyable moment for both parties, and phone numbers were exchanged.

So, what went down in jolly old England?

Well, it snowed. Interesting stuff, snow. Kinda fun, kinda wet. The jury's still out on its usefulness.


It did teach me a thing or two about the hardiness of the locals though - although some might mistake this for stupidity.


It was fun seeing Nanny Annie again. She taught me how to use dangerous implements to mark furniture,


and introduced me to her pet fox in the back yard.


The best bit about the trip was being able to catch up with friends and family in order for them to fawn all over me and shower me with praise and jaffa cakes.
Here I am with my auntie, uncle and cousins...


...mum and dad's friends, Geoff and Sui, and Bruce...


...grandad Baker...


... and all of us tearing into our pressies with auntie Christine and uncle Dave.


We went to Christine and Dave's house for xmas dinner, which was a lot of fun.
Mum led me to their house, which is about ten houses up the street from Nanny Annie's place.


It was here that I encountered my first full turkey dinner. Blimey - I could get used to this! Cheers!


Unbelievably stuffed, I took a moment to relax at the table...


...before indulging in a spot of cat-tormenting.


I got some great presents for xmas, not the least of which was this knitted stealth cardigan from uncle Dave's mum. Unfortunately, its powers of invisibility are only effective when I am standing in front of Dave's mum.


Wow, this trip was such a lot of fun!
I played with auntie Julie a lot...


...until it all ended in a punch-up.


I read my Star Wars book with Bruce...


And got mercilessly tickled by Sean.


I especially enjoyed indulging in a spot of English television. I'm really not sure what these CBeebie programmers are on - but daddy wants some.


I had many likes and dislikes during my stay.
I loved dad's bizarre, yet barely attempted, party balloon animals...


... but wasn't so keen on some of the stuff that passes for baby food over there. That said, if you've got any spare Farley's Rusks laying around, feel free to send them my way!


I was delighted and touched by the huge supply of toys and equipment that had been rustled up by mum and dad's family and friends...


But I didn't like the idea of having to renounce my nationality while living under Nanny Annie's roof.


All in all, I had a splendid time, and was sorry to say goodbye.
I can't wait for our next trip over-seas.
Having said that, it was nice to get back to the balmy weather of San Jose, and go for a walk in the park with uncle Paul upon our return.


We had a lovely time over the holiday period - thanks to everyone who made it so special!

I'll leave you with the reason for my excited face...


I'm getting an apprentice!



Happy 2010, y'all!

HJB, out.

6 comments:

Lisa F. said...

First - glad to see you had a great visit over-seas! I knew something didn't feel right, and now I know it's because you were off the continent!!

Second - congrats on your very own apprentice! I hope your parents know what they are getting themselves into!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

ewanandhaydenfan5 said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time on your trip!

Congratulations on the new apprentice - you and he?she? together will rule the galaxy!

Rebecca said...

Looks like you and the parental unit had a fabulous journey across the atlantic. Congrats on your apprentice to be young HJB, let the training begin! hugs from your canadian pals, lexie and zack

Granny-Wan said...

My oh my, you get more adorable by the day...

I'm sure you will train your apprentice well!

JediMelindaWolf said...

I see your parents did not warn you about English food. (not to put down the Britts, of course. English food is . . . just, shall we say, world reknown. I'll leave it at that.) A good ruler-in-training must learn to swallow unpleasant tastes, though, must he not? ;-)

Your very own apprentice? WOW!!! That's pretty exciting! You'll have to start thinking about how you want to train him/her. ;-)

Congratulations to you all, young one!!!

:-)

Unknown said...

Holy cow! An apprentice? Alice is positively furious with me for being so badly out of the loop. See what happens when I only check the blog once a month??

Congratulations!!

Will the apprentice have her own blog, too? Can't wait!!

Those are adorable pictures, too (although number 2 was obviously posed - it's so hard to catch kids acting naturally these days.)

I suppose it's useless asking when you're coming to Chicago again. I'll have to bring the family to Los Gatos. Give me a few months to come up with an excuse to put them on my expense report.

John O'Neill (and Alice)